Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. When is the next family reunion? The family reunion is traditionally the weekend following Father's Day in June of each reunion year. The next reunion year is 2023; however there is an idea for a 2024 Special Gathering. Click here for details.
2. What is the location of the next family reunion? The main location is Patterson, LA; the place where it continued. The Venue is normally the Patterson Civic Center. However, alternative locations have been considered. The change is cost prohibitive. However, other options will continue to be researched.
3. Has there been any consideration to moving it to a different location? Yes, however the increased cost was a major consideration in not moving it among other things in past years.
4. How many Family Reunions has there been? There has been 5 in-persons reunions at 1 Zoom reunion for a total of 6. They were held in: 2000, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, & 2021.
5. How many Planning Coordinators are there for a Reunion Location? The Patterson location has always been 5. However, other reunion location Teams are at liberty to decide their leadership number.
6. What should I do if I want to be on any of the Teams? Just complete an interest or contact us form.
7. What is the most challenging piece to organizing a family reunion? It is developing the appropriate cost per person and getting family members to respond in a timely fashion.
8. Why was there a name change for 2017? Our 2017 Collaborative Coordinators Leadership Team agreed to change the reunion name to "Elmore Family Reunion" to reflect our pedigree back to "Samuel and Cheney Elmore" . The 1870 US Census states that they came from Virginia. We also know that they were forced to board ships from Western Africa to come to the "co-called" New World. And, sold into slavery. Our family and so many others built this nation!
We are so elated that many of the Elmores have been coming to our family reunion over the years. If anyone knows of a book that captures the slaves owners in Patterson/Pattetsonville back in the day, please inbox me here.
9. What are some of the family's surnames who are Elmore descendants? They are Ratliff, Cambric, Green, Harvey, McElroy, Lockhart, Wilson, Perry, Clemmons Montgomery, Stokes, Veal, Jones, Veal, Washington, Williams, Simmons, Coleman,Cannon, to name a few. Family members are encouraged to make appropriate family related posts that are newsworthy. You are also encouraged to invite other family members to become apart of this great family Face Book Group.
10. Are the Tee-Shirts included in the registration fee? No, we use the Tee-Shirts as a means to offset future family reunions. That's one of the major reasons why our cost per person is so low.
11. Can family pay using Paypal? Yes, we have established this tool for our family to use. It is safe and convienent.
12. Why should family members pay early? When planning an event, such as our family reunion in any location, it is necessary for commitments to be made early in the planning process for example the venue and meals. Firm numbers such as paid family members can be provided to various vendors for every aspect of the reunion. It helps to eliminate stress and anxiety levels on the part of the planners and makes for an enjoyable experience for everyone.
13. What was the outcome of the exploring a different location for 2019? At our 2017 reunion, there was discussion held to explore moving our reunion to a different location. While some believe that Patterson should be the hub for our bi-annual family reunions, there was interest expressed to explore it. It was however determined that the venture to find another "reunion spot" should be held as possibly a "Family Reunion Vacation Club" that holds a weekend getaway (maybe more days if desirable) in the off years of the actual family reunion. It was suggested that many families who would normally make the reunion would be out priced. If you want to serve on that Team and/or have comments, please direct them to Don Johnson and Angela.
14. What circumstances allow for a refund? Refunds are given on an individual case by case basis covering emergencies such as a medical emergency (surgery or hospitalization) or death of an immediate family member i.e. spouse, child, parent, or sibling .
Please use the contact form below if you have any other unanswered questions. Or, you want to volunteer your time and talents.